Saturday, June 29, 2013

I'm NEW in town...

So I recently moved to Chicago.  (Check out the video above for the inspiration for this post's title.  John Mulaney is hilarious.) It's actually been over 8 months since I moved to Chicago, but I keep using my new-in-town excuse for why I don't know things or haven't gone to places.

This weekend I have NOTHING planned.  It's a nice change of pace from a weekend jam-packed with wedding events.  I made my to-do list, of course, because I would be lost without my list.  When I don't have things on my calendar and don't have a list to tell me what I have previously prioritized, I end up wasting time.  Not in a "man, I needed a break!" kind of waste, either.  If I don't put "paint my nails" on my list - in inherently relaxing and me-centic activity - I won't do it. I'll waste time on facebook or blogs or tv.  Don't worry, my to-do list includes Need-to-do's, Want-to-do's, and I've-Been-Meaning-to-dos, and even low priority Eventually-to-do's.  I've looked back on weekends when I didn't have a list or calendar events and have completely regretted the time I wasted.  It's more flexible than I'm sure it seems, but I've noticed that even downtime can be completely wasted.  Case in point - my trivia night got canceled recently and I had a whole evening free.  There was a Friends marathon on at the same time a Law & Order: SVU marathon was on.  Man, I was set for the night. Then the next evening I spent my time eating in front of the tv and then continuing to watch until bedtime (...okay, past bedtime) because I didn't have anything planned.  I could have: played guitar, done some shopping and used a coupon that expired the next day, read a book, SO MANY THINGS.  The one night to just chill and watch a couple hours of tv was okay, but two nights in a row? It's even more pathetic when I tell you that I was able to say most of the lines in unison with the actors.  I'm wasn't learning a new story! I wasn't broadening my televisual horizons! I wasn't keeping up with pop culture! Wasted. Time.

I've put coffee shop time on my to-do list today (I tried to work before I blogging, but my remote access isn't working...).  I also put play guitar and paint my nails on my list.  And use a coupon before it expires - it'd surprise you how often this appears on my list.  It's not a overwhelmingly exciting day, but if I didn't make the list I'd be wasting time looking through my blog feed and at tumblrs and all that good stuff.  Plus, there will still be plenty of time for simply wasting or if something comes up.  But if I get that stuff done, I'll be flexible for whatever comes up.

Back To Hobbies:

To seamlessly blend this post with the previous post, I'm so excited to let you know I've put a Second City improv class on my calendar every Monday night for the next 8 weeks.  Guys, this "class" makes me so happy.  I went last week and just had the best time.  When I was in law school, an improv performer/corporate trainer turned law student started a law improv group, since there are definite benefits to litigation skills.  We'd get together every so often and just.....play.

During Second City orientation, the instructor (a total dude) was saying "You come in, and you work on a scene..." And in the same sentence corrected himself, "..no, you don't come here to work, though. You come here to play. You come in, and you play on a scene."  What an important and meaningful correction.  While it is work and you have to concentrate and work at it, it is so great to keep in mind that the things we do in class are fun. We are all just playing with each other and that's the reason you're there.  At the first class we played some improv games, doing object work and focusing on getting to know the ensemble and supporting each other.  That's a great lesson to learn in improv - to build.  To think of your mission as to make the original person's idea live, to bring it to life and continue to give it direction.  We also threw imaginary balls around a circle to each other.  My biggest issue will be not laughing when things are hilarious.  I was the only one literally laughing out loud at inappropriate times.  But you know what? I was having a blast and felt comfortable enough to LAUGH. 

I'll be sure to keep you updated on my playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment